Personalized and innovative legal advocacy when you need it most

Helping your foreign spouse immigrate to the U.S.

On Behalf of | Jun 1, 2023 | Immigration, IMMIGRATION & NATURALIZATION - Immigration

If you want to bring your foreign spouse to the U.S., or move to the states as the spouse of a citizen, it is important to understand your options and approach the immigration process carefully. In order to ensure that you can live with your wife or husband in the U.S., working through immigration matters correctly is pivotal.

You could have many questions regarding immigration, and approaching this issue can feel overwhelming. However, you should try to stay optimistic and focus on your future.

Visas available to the spouses of U.S. citizens

Depending on your circumstances, you could have the ability to secure an immigrant visa or a nonimmigrant visa for the spouse of a U.S. citizen. The U.S. Department of State reports that U.S. citizens can apply for an IR1 or CR1 immigrant visa. If you pursue this visa, you have to complete Form I-130.

On the other hand, you might need to apply for a nonimmigrant K-3 visa. In order to receive a K-3 visa, the issuance of the visa must occur within the country in which you got married. After receiving a K-3 visa, your foreign spouse can go to the U.S. to work toward receiving an immigrant visa. To receive a K-3 visa, you have to submit Form I-130 and Form I-129F.

The perks of helping your spouse move to the states

Aside from immigration issues, the process of moving to a different country can prove challenging for various reasons. However, it is important to reflect on the potential advantages of immigration. From living closer to loved ones to securing more lucrative employment opportunities, obtaining a visa for your spouse to live in the U.S. can provide multiple benefits.